The Department of Legal Metrology, Ministry of Consumer Affairs has issued an advisory relaxing packaged commodities regulations for Garments, Hosiery products.
1. The department of Legal Metrology has issued an advisory dated 16th December 2016 to Legal Metrology controllers of all the states and union territories for enforcement of Legal Metrology (Packaged commodities) Rules 2011 for Garments, Hosiery products.
2. As per the advisory, the mandatory labelling requirement under the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011 are applicable only for pre – packaged commodities, defined under Section 2 (I) of Legal Metrology Act, 2009.
3. The mandatory labelling requirements for pre - packaged commodities are therefor not applicable for garments sold in loose form.
4. With effect from 1st July 2017, the labelling requirements for garments sold in loose form in retail stores may include only four declarations e.g. 1. Name/Description of the product, 2. Size: Internationally recognizable size indicators – S, M, L, XL etc. along with details in metric notion in terms or cm or m as case may be, 3. MRP, 4. Name, Full address & Customer Care No. of the manufacture.
5. In the case of readymade garments sold to consumer in Pre-packaged form, declarations required under the Rules may be made. Further, the size of the garments needs to be mentioned in metres or centimetres, as the case may be, and any detail such as S, M, L, XL, XXL etc. may be treated as additional declaration. Click here to download the notification